Friday, September 22, 2006

Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is

A couple of months ago I was pontificating about, among other things, how UMD movies were failing in the marketplace, and how I believed it was purely due to the poor price point. Well, I was in Future Shop last weekend, and it turns out they have a bunch of UMDs on sale for $8.99, and not only are some of them not crap, they even ones I'm interested in. I'd call nine bucks cheap enough that I'm willing to bite, so I bought Robots and X-Men. I've only watched a little of Robots so far, but I'm pretty impressed by the disc. It has a couple of previews, extras, subtitles and even the French soundtrack (it's the Canadian release). That's pretty much what I'd expect on a DVD.

As it turns out, they're all Twentieth Century Fox releases. I don't know how they came to be priced so reasonably, but I'm not going to complain. Of course, even at $9 I'm not going to buy just anything - some of the stuff on UMD is truly terrible (well, IMHO anyway), but as long as they're putting out some decent animation or sci-fi at reasonable prices I'll probably continue to buy.

Labels: